Thursday, January 15, 2009

Graduation



I have become a bum for a month. I originally intended to make my transition from college to graduate life as smoothly as possible. Things didn't go well as planned. All day and night, what I did was to eat, drink and surf the internet. I am not used to this kind of life, given my compulsive personality and passion for productivity. I am supposed to be in an internship abroad now. But I decided it would be a waste of time and talent to settle for something less. Working just for travel's sake is superficial. 

Actually, there were a lot of internship opportunities. Two of them caught my attention. Both in Shanghai. One is a marketing job. however, my Shanghai friend advised against applying to this company. He said the company has a bad reputation in China (as a direct selling company) and that they "sell trash." The other is a teaching job. Pay is not bad, although I won't learn anything about business except for "Social Entrepreneurship." Parties are included, although I do not prioritize them given my frugal lifestyle and eye for value. There is another in HK which I applied seriously. Unfortunately, the job description was subtle and exaggerated. It is nothing more than "technical" and "powerpoint" assistance. Never mind the company is a conglomerate MNC.

Last month, I was also invited to apply for "Business Development Officer" position. However, upon closer inspection, it is a call center agent job, just dignified. The atmosphere was pretentious, the workload stressful.  On the other hand, I also received "business offers" or "business proposals." Sadly, it is an MLM scheme. There was also a time when a bank called. I didn't answer the call since I cannot recall applying for a bank. Probably from our school's career service.

I sure had a lot of adventure with job recruiters. However, most were a waste of time. But I have two friends who still don't have a job even though they graduated one or two terms earlier than me. Not that I am worried about my career prospects, now am I unreasonably picky. I just want to make sure I enter a good start. I just want to set myself apart from the crowd, without compromising my values, ambitions, and personality.

last week, I actually came up with a start-up company. This is probably not what I had envisioned as a first move.  Of course, I have to be cautious of every offer and opportunity. I have grown to be discriminating of them. But this one is different. Based on my research: It is a perfect blend of corporate identity and entrepreneurial agency. It is an entrepreneurial start-up which has an aggresive international expansion strategy. Its people youthful, adventurous and unassuming. Its culture creative and entrepreneurial. Its boss charismatic and believes in his team. I read his blog and took notice on his thoughts: "age and pedigree is insignificant" and "what matters os the fire inside the person...the bigness of dreams and the firmness of vision." He goes on to say that he has (associates) living alone in foreign countries with the future of the brand on their hands. 

Now some people would question this approach (letting young people take in charge), but then, people would comment the same when a Chinoy tycoon was a janitor and another tycoon now a senator selling in the palengke. From what I heard, it seems that this guy believes in the entrepreneurial energy and potential of young people. It's like how Mao Zedong described young people: "The world is yours, as well as ours, but in the final analysis, it is yours. You young people, full of vigour and vitality, are in the bloom of life, like the sun at eight or nine in the morning. Our hope is placed on you..." (Little Red Book, page 288) I'm sure this guy wouldn't risk his business to just anyone, and wouldn't risk the talents and expectations, not to mention the career and life of applicants. The applicants he is looking for are described as "those whose energy belongs to the 99th percentile, not afraid to fail, and an intense itch to make a difference in the region. " I think this is the perfect description of me and what I'm looking for. 

My job interview will be on Monday, and I hope this is truly the one I'm looking for. Btw, I've rejected KFC. Their actual and stated job descriptions are different!

By the way, I decided not to go to graduation rites in February. I had thought before that this was supposed to be a memroable experience looking forward to. But when I attended last term, I was disappointed. It was boring. Maybe homecoming when you are truly successful would be so much better. 

No comments:

Post a Comment