Friday, February 13, 2009

My first job

Time is so fast. More so if you're working for an ultra-efficient, modern and entrepreneurial company where I work. It's been only two weeks yet I feel I've been working for more than a month. Yes, everything here is fast, even the HR, which caught our attention on attire and eating hours hehe

If it not were for the efficiency and productivity of the company, it would not have been able to sell in foreign countries and grow into a multi-million company in just a short span of 3.5 years. The boss and his wife is charismatic, while everyone is young. Country managers as young as 21 or 22 are being sent abroad alone without much training and any language proficiency. Much like Kamikaze warriors. Nowhere else can you find a company entrusting tis future to young and energetic people, having truly innovative and out of the box ideasand brands and requires its employees to read at least 2 books a month. Not some boring book but among the best collection of solid and insightful books.

It was unfortunate for me to enter at a time two employees are resigning, in effect turning the responsibilities over to me. You don't expect to be spoon-fed and have formal orientation or even training. That's what happened to me this past days. I was expected to absorb their eight months and one and a half year experience, respectively in the course of less than two weeks. No complaints for me, although i have wished there were some formal training and assistants. Some of them have actually resigned, and I pity them although I respect their choices. Anyway, it's better than being a bum after graduation or having no hard to find learning opportunities. Nowhere can you find the boss being a mentor and a company willing to reveal past, present and future secrets of the business world and entrusting you with power and responsibility at such a young age, and as a fresh-entry sarariman. They don't care if you will just resign and lose their training efforts. They only care about inspiring. As Richard Branson said, " I felt that I could make a difference. That's the best reason to go into business."

No comments:

Post a Comment